Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Twins Are 2 Months Old!!

























We can't believe Oliver and Lucy are 10 weeks old tomorrow! They are interacting so much more and are getting so fun!

At around 7-8 weeks, the smiles really started coming. They just melt my heart!! And in the last week or so, the twins have started cooing! Very exciting :) I love hearing their super-cute voices. We carry on very important conversations throughout the day!


The babies had their 2 month doctor appointment and...Oliver is now 10 lbs 10 oz and is 22.5 inches long! Lucy (our little princess) is 8 lbs 6 oz and is 21.75 inches long. I think she'll start packing on the pounds soon though. We switched her to a fast flow nipple and have seen a significant increase in her formula intake. She was taking about 17 oz a day and now she's up to a whopping 26 oz!!! Yeah Lucy :) Other news at the appt...we changed Lucy's formula. She and Oliver have been taking Alimentum, a hypoallergenic and SUPER EXPENSIVE formula for babies with a cow's milk protein allergy. If you remember, when I was breasfeeding, Oliver had major reflux/fussiness issues when I ate dairy. When we switched to formula, we chose Alimentum, knowing he would probably react to "regular" formula much like he did to my breastmilk. Anyway, Lucy never had a reaction to my breastmilk regardless of my diet. So, we decided to try to switch her to a less expensive formula and hope for the best. She's done wonderfully, no problems whatsoever! She's now on Similac Sensitive and Oliver remains on the Alimentum. Oliver has a bit of a flat spot on the right side of his head. We are doing more tummy time to help round it out :)

Other exciting news...the babies have become great sleepers, especially in the last week! We have them on a pretty good schedule that seems to work for everyone. Bedtime is between 9 and 10pm after a bottle and some play time. We wrap them up tight in their swaddle-me's and it's off to bed in separate cribs with no crying. They typically wake up between 3 and 4am for a bottle and diaper change and then it's right back to sleep. The next feeding is between 6 and 7am and lately they've been going back to sleep again until 8 or 9am! Woohoo! They have become great nappers too! You can sense my excitement in all the exclamation points :) They take a consistent morning nap from 10-1200pm. The morning nap is really amazing and is made possible by swaddling and swinging. I can wash bottles, do laundry, blog...the possibilities are endless :)

I am in nearing the end of my maternity leave and am having mixed feelings. I really don't ever want to leave them and I'm going to miss them terribly. They better not hit any major milestones while I'm at work! On a positive note, Kyle and I were both offered weekend-option positions at work! After discussing the opportunity with my mom and his mom, we both accepted. We are SUPER excited to work just 2 days a week (Saturday and Sunday from 7a-7p)! That means we will have 5 days off together during the week. Lots of quality family time!!! On the weekends, Oliver and Lucy will be spending time getting spoiled at grandma and grandpa's house :) Our families are really looking forward to watching them every week. For now, because the twins are so young and require so much care and attention, we will be splitting them up. One baby with my mom and one baby with Kyle's mom. At first it seemed sad to separate them, but in reality, they don't really interact yet and they really enjoy one-on-one time. So, the big day for me to return to work is January 9th. And Kyle will start his weekend-option position on January 24th.

3 comments:

  1. So much exciting stuff going on! I'm so happy for you guys that everything is going so well and that you both get to work the schedules that you want to. Your babies are so cute! I can't wait to cuddle them and smooch them next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The girls have always been on Similac Sensitive as well. When they were really little, Joss had that reflux problem, but they both had terrible gas! You could hear their stomachs rumbling like crazy...it was sooo sad! We've just left them on the Sensitive and it's been great. Soooo glad the naps are working out for you. I miss the swaddle/swings naps. The girls still sleep in them from 5am-8am after that early morning feeding, but that's it. I was so sad when I could tell the day naps weren't working in the swings. They woke up in 20 min like they weren't comfortable or something. Not that I get much time from the cribs, but I figured I had to transition them. You should see them in the swings in the morning...Alayna's legs dangle out! And we had to get creative when they started climbing out. We weren't good about buckling in the early days since it really wasn't needed. Well now we have to fold the bottom of the swaddle-me up and pretty much just wrap their upper body so we can buckle them into the seats at their legs. Then we cover their legs with a blanket. I suppose we should just try laying them back down in their cribs from 5-8am, but we choose to do what is working still and giving us that last bit of sleep!!!! They are out quickly that way and I dread the day when it doesn't work anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like life is great!! Glad to hear all the exciting news & that both babies are growing so good. I personally think both of you having the weekend option position is awesome!! I would LOVE to have a 5 day weekend as a family every week! Drake & I would love to come meet Oliver & Lucy & visit with you soon. Love the new pictures!

    ReplyDelete