Monday, March 9, 2009

We're Having...TWINS!

The last 24 hrs have been a major roller coaster ride. Early this morning, while I was at work, I started spotting. I lost it. I called Kyle at home to let him know I was on my way & that we would be going to the doctor's office early. He called his work to let them know he'd be late. Then we waited. We were so scared. With each miscarriage I had the same brown spotting. Spotting for me is usually not a good thing. I know a lot of women experience some bleeding in pregnancy & go on to have healthy babies, but this has never been the case with me.

So, we arrived right at 7:30 am when the office opened. We didn't have an appointment so we had to wait until 8:00 am for the ultrasound. I was shaking, but trying desperately to stay positive. Dr. Brabec entered the room & went right to work. When she found my uterus, she immediately said, "Okay, I see two sacks, two babies & two heartbeats, now take a deep breath & I'll look at everything a little closer." WHAT!!?? Are you serious? She was serious. There they were, our two beautiful little beans with their flickering heartbeats :) Twin A measured 6w6d (6 weeks 6 days old) & had a heart rate of 113. Twin B measured 6w4d & had a heart rate of 116. I am 6 weeks 5 days pregnant today, so the measurements are right on. I can't even believe this as I am typing it!! Basically everything looked perfect with no evidence of bleeding. We don't know what is causing the spotting, but Dr. Brabec said there wasn't anything to worry about because the babies look great! I guess 50% of IVF patients have some spotting during pregnancy. I have another ultrasound scheduled for next Thursday for more peace of mind. And...there is a small possibility there is a third baby! Dr. Brabec wanted to look again in 10 days. She saw something that looked like another baby, but it was hard to see. She couldn't find a heartbeat, so she isn't sure. My ovaries are still huge & with our two babies in there too, it's kind of crowded. We were told that we probably just have the twins, but it may be a good idea to prepare for triplets! We will take whatever :) We are walking on air!!

We got pictures of Twin A & Twin B, but right now they don't look like much...although we think they're beautiful. I may try to scan in the pictures later.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Glad to hear the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! I'm so excited for you and so sorry you had to go through what I know was a terrifying experience. We'll keep praying!

    ReplyDelete