Wednesday, March 25, 2009

9 weeks

Twin A hanging out on her side
Twin B looking at Mom & Dad straight-on with his hands by his face
Today is a major milestone for us. We are 9 weeks pregnant & have 2 thriving babies safe in my uterus!! This is the "most pregnant" we've ever been. We had another ultrasound today. The babies are now about the size of a grape! Twin A is measuring 8w6d with a heartrate of 186 & Twin B is also measuring 8w6d with a heartrate of 171 :) Those heartrates are just incredible to me. Music to our ears!! It's such a relief to hear the woosh woosh woosh. The subchorionic hematoma is about the same size, maybe a little smaller, it seems to be thinning out. It looks less scary now because compared to the babies, who have grown considerably, the bleed appears much smaller than it did last week. As long as it stays the same size & the babies keep getting bigger, all is well. We have officially "graduated" from the RE & have our first appointment with my OB on Friday. She will do another ultrasound, so we'll be seeing our babies again in 2 days!!! Always love to see our babies :)


We've had such a crazy week. Knowing that there is a bleed in my uterus & knowing that I'm taking Lovenox, an anticoagulant, is a very scary thought. There is the risk of bleeding more if I continue the Lovenox, making the hematoma larger & possibly pushing out one or both babies. But, there is the risk of clotting if I stop the Lovenox. I'm taking the Lovenox because I have been diagnosed with 2 clotting disorders, Protein C Deficiency & MTHFR mutation. If a clot forms in the placenta, blood flow & oxygen will be cut off from me to the babies, & we would lose them. As two of my "professional" doctors put it, "Damned if you do, damned if you don't." Not quite the advice we were hoping for!! So, I spent many hours on the phone with my RE, my OB & my hematologist trying to get them to agree on a treatment plan. They all agreed on bedrest, but my RE & hematologist wanted to stop the Lovenox & my OB wanted to continue it. After much discussion & collaboration, we decided to hold the Lovenox Monday & Tuesday and wait for the ultrasound today. Since things are stable, we are restarting the Lovenox today. As my OB said, it won't matter that there is a bleed if you lose the pregnancy because of a clot. Who knows, I'm so confused! And now I'm sure you are too :)


So, to recap...babies are great, bleed is unchanged, appt Friday with OB for first visit & ultrasound. Oh, we'll also be followed by a Perinatologist (high risk OB). Our first appt with her is on April 6th. She will also be doing an ultrasound! We'll have SO many pictures of these Twinkies by the time they arrive :) Great for the scrapbook, right!

No comments:

Post a Comment